Cherry Wood Plank Salmon Recipe with Lemon, Garlic & Thyme
Grilled planked salmon has a slightly smoked flavour and fantastic presentation. We’ve chosen a subtle lemon rub on it so you can still taste the smoke but feel free to go wild with your rub. All you need is a barbeque with a lid or if you don’t mind testing your smoke alarms then you can use the grill in your oven.
- Garry River Farm Siberian cherry wood plank for grilling
- ¼ cup Robinsons Bay extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, from 2 lemons
- 1½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 800g-1kg whole salmon fillet
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Fill a large container or sink with water. Soak the cherry wood plank(s) under the water for at least 1 hour, overnight is best.
- Combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest, thyme, and garlic. Mix well. Rub over the salmon and turn to coat evenly with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to grill.
- Turn on barbeque to highest heat ( or do same with grill function on oven)
- Pat the soaked plank dry and place the salmon on top. Turn down grill to medium.
- Place the plank on the grill grates, close the cover and cook for 15 -20 minutes, or until salmon is done to your liking. Douse or mist the plank with a bit of water if it catches fire.
- Serve the salmon on a platter right on the plank with lemon wedges. We like this with some roasted potatoes, panzanella salad and some horseradish sauce.
Hint : If you cant get Cherry wood then any other suitable barbequeing wood works well from Cedar to Apple wood